t’s common to use ice melts to keep stairs, sidewalks and driveways from building up ice. But ingredients in those ice melts can be dangerous for your pets.

For many people across the country, the return of winter also means the return of snow and ice.

It’s common to use ice melts to keep stairs, sidewalks and driveways from building up ice. Most products use sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride, but those ingredients could be dangerous for your pets.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has some tips to consider when choosing an ice melt.

Pets don’t usually ingest the ice melts on purpose, but they could be exposed if they lick their paws or eat snow that has ice melts in it.

KEEPING YOUR PET SAFE AND HEALTHY THIS CHRISTMAS

Winter weather can be beautiful to look at, and it certainly is fun to play in. Pet owners also know just how much fun their furry friends can have, especially in the snow.

(Kameron Kincade / Unsplash)

And the ASPCA says that while most ingestions are accidental, some pets enjoy the taste and could eat it directly from the package if they’re given a chance.

The most common issues when a pet ingests ice melt are an upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea. It’s important to note that the vomiting or diarrhea can be severe in some cases and cause your pet to become dehydrated.

But those aren’t the only issues that could arise.

Ingesting too much ice melt can lead to an elevation in sodium levels in your pet, and that can lead to tremors and seizures, according to the ASPCA.

HOLIDAY FOODS YOUR DOG CAN SAFELY EAT AND ONES TO AVOID

Winter weather is around the corner, here are some tips to keep your furry friends safe this season.

Here’s what you can do to minimize the potential health hazards for your furry friends:

Leave a Reply