Xylitol poisoning can kill your dog
XYLITOL is a sweetener that is found in a wide range of products. It might also go by other names, including wood sugar, birch sugar, and birch bark extract. Peanut butter and other nut butters
Sugar-free candy and mints
Sugar-free jams, jellies
Mouthwashes, oral rinses, and toothpastes
Medicines for adults and children
Dietary supplements (like fiber gummies and sleep aids)
ALWAYS check the ingredient label!
Xylitol poisoning can start within 20 minutes!! Signs include:
Decreased activity level
Weakness and collapse
Difficulty walking or standing
Shaking or seizures
Call your vet, emergency animal clinic, or animal poison control center if you think your dog has eaten a product containing XYLITOL. Every second counts!!
Source: fda.gov; content current as of 10/21/2022